Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fall Guy is back!

If any of you have seen Fever Pitch, you know what I mean by Fall Guy. When summer starts to end Taylor gos through a transformation. Our first fall together it blindsighted me or ear-holed me if you know fall guy lingo. Taylor went to take out the trash, 40 min later I began to worry he fell in the dumpster or something, but as I walked out to the dumpster he was no where to be found. On the third call to his phone I heard cheering in the background he was excitedly watching the Cedar High School football game, since he knew no one on either team I was rather confused. Then every friday night at 7pm we had to have a moment of silence to reverently observe the hundreds of kick offs happening at that very moment. Every Saturday morning I woke up to the sounds of Taylor singing the BYU cougar fight song, then the frantic search for the games would begin. Since we didn't have TV we would drive from place to place to see if they had the game on, if that failed we would embarrassingly call aqantances with cable to see if they were by chance watching the game. Then after games he animately reinacts amazing plays or heartbreaking ones.
Now don't get me wrong I have always enjoyed sports, but when it came to football I would just watch the Utah vs. BYU game, the Superbowl or games that I knew a player (Ryan, Austin, Tyson, Colby, Hummer I love watching you play!)but I could always have a conversation during them. Weather watching high school, college or pro Fall guy gets in a "the zone" where nothing can infiltrate or distract. I have also learned not to sit too close or have drinks close by because a sudden outrage of excitement or disgust causes anything in Taylors jumping proximity to become damaged.
I stopped trying to understand this obsession and just accepted it and set down a few ground rules.
Football rule #1 he must talk to me/answer questions during the comercials this way I can justify spending hours watching games as "bonding"
Rule#2 He must TRY to not allow games to depress or disgust him for more than a day. With those few rules I can still enjoy falltime.
I will never enjoy watching FB as much as Basketball, but I've actually learned enough about FB to understand an entire game. I do think they should change a few rules, but thats for another blog. For now I hope everyone enjoys Football season, you know we will!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Lisah said...

That is funnnnyyy Jill~ I grew up in a house like that but luckily for me Drew doesn't really watch it except for the super bowl and an occasional one on TV. Now hunting... that's another story!

Krista said...

I also married "Fall Guy" ... and now he is also "Spring Guy". But "Winter Guy" is pretty calm. LOL!

Spenny and Nellie Morris said...

That;s hilarious! YEP, SPENNY IS THE SAME! He watched football on Saturday for 8 hours! I said there's no way we're doing that again!

Scottfunkel said...

Jill, I loved that you refered to him as Fall Guy. One, it was an excelent movie reference, and two, Jim Rome would be proud. (Ask Taylor who that is.)

I think that it is healthy for people to become invested emotionaly in something bigger than themselves, like a football team. And if I know Taylor, I'm sure he is equally if not more passionate about other things, like his family, church, etc.

Jacob Butler said...

Oh, I love the Fall! It's been a long summer, but football season is finally here!!

Nic said...

I can totally relate. It's 11 pm and I couldn't find Quinn anywhere. Come to find out, he is in the office making a music video to sad music of himself at Yankee games in Yankee stadium. He also may or may not have been crying.

Anonymous said...

One day he may out grow it, highly unlikely knowing that family but I did it and so can he.

This is a random mix of: adventures from teaching at Snow Canyon Middle School, weekend hikes, different pregnant belly sizes and everyday life.